To these just measures we can add another, recently developed by the man who designed the “contraction and convergence” plan for tackling climate change, Aubrey Meyer. Contraction and convergence, which the African governments have now adopted as their official position on climate change, first establishes how much carbon dioxide humans can produce each year without cooking the planet. It then divides that sum between all the people of the world, and allocates to each nation, on the basis of its population, a quota for gas production. It proposes a steady contraction of the total production of climate-changing gases and a convergence, to equality, of national production per head of population. To produce more than its share a nation must first buy unused quota from another one.
Meyer points out that by accelerating convergence we would grant the poor world a massive trade advantage. Those nations using the least fossil fuel would possess a near-monopoly over the trade in emissions. This would help redress the economic balance between rich and poor and compensate the poor for the damage inflicted by the rich nations’ pollution.
AboutThis is an unfocused catch-all personal blog written by a South African environmental journalist living in Cape Town. My professional blog is Leaves of language.
Random and best posts
- How to use as little cellular data as possible when tethering to your cellphone
- Misleading claims from 1 Life
- Being cheated by Afrihost ISP
- Resolving problems with Airport Express (first generation)
- WD passport drive not visible or mounting
- Airport Express not connecting to wifi network
- Buddhism and economics
- How to fight South African spam (uninvited bulk email)
- A care plan for living with bipolar depression – how you can help
- Notes on bipolar depression
- Bipolar disorder and why we hate taking the pills
- RT @AmnestyUK: 7 years. 400,000+ dead. 5.6 million refugees. We will not sit silently & watch this tragedy continue for the eighth year i… 2 days ago
- @Vodacom Ordered a 500MB x 2 bundle a week ago, 1st 500 MB runs out, and the 2nd 500 MB never appears, and my airtime depletes. WTFF? 2 days ago
- @Numsa_Media "there are no jobs on a dead planet" – what is your plan for unions to contribute to stopping #climatechange? #IPPs 2 days ago
Everything that’s here