Dan Plesch: “We need a new strategy to renew the international institutions’ credibility. We need, in the Pentagon’s language, a strategic counterattack, to reinforce the UN and bring democracy to the secret international bureaucracies that decide our fate.
“This strategy may be simpler than we imagine. Our national representatives to international bodies should be directly elected at the general election. In addition to electing one MP, we should elect the nation’s representatives to the UN, the EU and the WTO. We should start with these most important bodies and then look at including others such as Nato and the negotiations on climate change.”
Dan Plesch proposes replacing the diplomats representing nations in multilateral bodies with politicians — people more directly answerable to the electorate. It’s by no means the only reform of the links between ordinary people and international bodies that is needed — but it is a start in making those bodies more accountable.
AboutThis is an unfocused catch-all personal blog written by a South African environmental journalist living in Cape Town. My professional blog is Leaves of language.
Random and best posts
- How to use as little cellular data as possible when tethering to your cellphone
- Misleading claims from 1 Life
- Being cheated by Afrihost ISP
- Resolving problems with Airport Express (first generation)
- WD passport drive not visible or mounting
- Airport Express not connecting to wifi network
- Buddhism and economics
- How to fight South African spam (uninvited bulk email)
- A care plan for living with bipolar depression – how you can help
- Notes on bipolar depression
- Bipolar disorder and why we hate taking the pills
- RT @ReutersAfrica: South African court rules nuclear plan unlawful, must be set aside #NuclearDeal af.reuters.com/article/topNew… https://t.co/cnf… 1 day ago
- Huge congratulations to @SAFCEI and @Earthlife_JHB for their huge victory against the #NuclearDeal fin24.com/Economy/breaki… 1 day ago
- RT @enviro_lawyers: Incredible news! Total victory for @Earthlife_JHB & @SAFCEI in the #NuclearDeal - all nuclear deals set aside as unlawf… 1 day ago
Everything that’s here