Dan Plesch: “We need a new strategy to renew the international institutions’ credibility. We need, in the Pentagon’s language, a strategic counterattack, to reinforce the UN and bring democracy to the secret international bureaucracies that decide our fate.
“This strategy may be simpler than we imagine. Our national representatives to international bodies should be directly elected at the general election. In addition to electing one MP, we should elect the nation’s representatives to the UN, the EU and the WTO. We should start with these most important bodies and then look at including others such as Nato and the negotiations on climate change.”
Dan Plesch proposes replacing the diplomats representing nations in multilateral bodies with politicians — people more directly answerable to the electorate. It’s by no means the only reform of the links between ordinary people and international bodies that is needed — but it is a start in making those bodies more accountable.
AboutThis is an unfocused catch-all personal blog written by a South African environmental journalist living in Cape Town. My professional blog is Leaves of language.
Random and best posts
- How to use as little cellular data as possible when tethering to your cellphone
- Misleading claims from 1 Life
- Being cheated by Afrihost ISP
- Resolving problems with Airport Express (first generation)
- WD passport drive not visible or mounting
- Airport Express not connecting to wifi network
- Buddhism and economics
- How to fight South African spam (uninvited bulk email)
- A care plan for living with bipolar depression – how you can help
- Notes on bipolar depression
- Bipolar disorder and why we hate taking the pills
- RT @FossilFreeSA: @NelsonMandela stood up for #humanrights. #ClimateChange threatens everyone’s human rights. This @MandelaDay, SIGN our pe… 3 days ago
- RT @adamchavez: Finally a thorough piece of reporting on the @elonmusk Thai submarine fiasco. By a non-reporter. Journalism is dead. But… 3 days ago
- @elonmusk @elonmusk Re fighting climate change, please ask your South African followers to sign our @FossilFreeSA p… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
Everything that’s here